The 258MGT management company have announced via social media on behalf of Anthony Joshua that they have accepted the terms for a fight against Tyson Fury on December 3.
Negotiations were put on hold due to the death of queen Elizabeth II, but Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has already replied to 258MGT’s tweet.
“Contract will be with you very son,” wrote Warren.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn had already announced that the offer would be accepted and that there were three possible dates and venues for the fight: December 17 at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, November 26 at Wembley Stadium in London and December 3, also at the Principality Stadium.
Fury had reportedly booked Old Trafford for November 12, but Joshua’s team thought the fight would be too early on that date.
The former responded to these claims by stating that he was only willing to agree on two dates: November 26 at Wembley or December 3 in Cardiff, ruling out December 17.
Anthony Joshua: Taking on Fury after losing to Usyk
Shortly after Joshua’s defeat to Oleksandr Usyk, Tyson Fury had challenged his compatriot to a fight before the end of 2022.
“Anthony Joshua, I know you’ve just lost a fight to Usyk and you’re bout-less at the moment, and I’d like to give you an opportunity to fight me for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world and the lineal championship in the next few months,” Fury said.
“You’re coming off a 12-round fight, so you’re match fit, you’re ready. I’m giving you a few months’ notice. If you’re interested I’ll send you the date over and we can rumble.
“A Battle of Britain for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world. Let me know if you’re interested. If not, I will select another opponent.”
Joshua replied to Fury to make clear that he will be ready in December and Fury said that he offered a 60-40 pursue split.
“I’ve offered him 60/40,” Fury revealed.
“Forty percent of this amazing fight because I want this fight to happen. He doesn’t have any excuses now not to take it. He can’t say I’ve low balled him and offered him 20 percent, 30 percent. I’ve offered the people 40 percent. Take it or leave it. Let us know. Boom.”
Now Joshua has given the green light by accepting Fury’s offer. Meanwhile, Usyk’s decision, after retaining his championship belts (WBA, WBO, IBF) against Joshua, not to step into the ring for the remainder of 2022 put the potential heavyweight unification bout between the Ukrainian and Fury on hold.
This prompted Fury to look for other candidates and Joshua was his first choice.